Monday, April 9, 2012

4-10-12 Students and Writing

I think this page said something like
"Why is there a whole in the bottom
of my backpack?"
When I was a student, I loved writing.  In kindergarten, I wanted to write a story about my pet hamster sneaking into my backpack and having an adventure at my school.  I wrote out my story and then having some of the best and supportive parents a young boy could ask for, my mom bought me one of those white hardcover books, and helped me take photographs for the illustrations.  I even wrote in a line about how my pet hamster ate through all the pencils in the principal’s office. I even got to take a picture of my principal holding up a “chewed up” pencil. 

But it wasn’t until 5th grade that my writing really grew leaps and bounds.  We must have gone through 15 different writing prompts that year – all of which my teacher guided us through using the 5 stages of writing that Tompkins outlined. (And I still have all of those writings – complete with laminated covers and bound in black spiral plastic.) 

Stage 1:  Pre-writing

I was always motivated when it came
to writing about giraffes.  
Choosing a topic is important.  I mean you can’t write about something, if you don’t have a something to write about.  I believe that “students should choose their own topics for writing - topics they are interested in and know about – so that they will be more engaged” (Tompkins, 53).  When students are engaged, they are more motivated, more studious, and take more time to do a better job.  And at this point of their learning career, those are the things that matter.  Once they have their idea, they should gathering and organize the ideas.  Tompkins gave some great ideas like “drawing pictures, brainstorming lists of words, reading books, doing internet research, and talking about ideas with classmates” (53).  The one that I think is most important is reading books. 

I have a mentor/friend who was a college professor of literature and education at our local community college (he is now retired).  Last year, I had the privilege of observing him do a poetry workshop for 4th grade class.  He said a lot of brilliant things that day, but the one that stuck out the most was what he said after he asked a girl – who had written a lovely poem – if she liked to read.  She said that she read all the time and that it was one of her favorite things to do.  He said that made sense because people who read a lot become better writers.  He then asked how many kids liked to play baseball.  A bunch of hands shot up.  He asked how many of them like to watch baseball.  More hands shot up.  He said it was the same as reading and writing.  You can play baseball, but when you get to watch a professional play, you can learn a lot – how they hold the bat, how the stand, when they run, what kind of pitch they throw.  When you get to read the writings of people who are really good at writing, you can learn a lot from them – how to phrase a sentence, vocabulary, how to describe something.

Stage 2: Drafting

A draft is “usually messy, reflecting the outpouring of ideas with cross-outs, lines, and arrows as they think of better ways to express ideas.  They write quickly with little concern about legible handwriting, spelling correctness, or careful use of capitalization and punctuation.” (54)  I have to wonder if Topkins was observing my classroom.  When my students write their drafts they are messy!  Words spelt wrong, lines crossed out, eraser marks all over, and words circled.

My 5th grade teacher Ms. Marks.
In that 5th grade classroom, one of our bigger writings was an in-depth research narrative where we presented on a topic of our choice in a factually creative way.  She inspired us to choose topics that were really meaningful, things we wanted to know more about, things other teachers might have steered us away from.  Some people chose the holocaust, others would chose divorce, and I chose homelessness.  It was a really big project.  Lots of research, and lots of drafts.  I visited my 5th grade teacher last year, and the first thing she did (after giving me a big hug) was rush to her closet and pull out my rough draft of that book.  It had pages taped together, words circled, blue, red, black ink all over it, sticky notes attached.  She called it “the beautiful mess.”  And it was.  It showed exactly how messy drafting is supposed to be.  We expect students to be right all the time, that when in reality and in life, rightness isn’t always the most important thing.

Stage 3: Revising

I have been glad to see that my MT doesn’t skip over this step.  In many classrooms, I have seen teachers just go from first draft to “hand it in so I can correct it.”  Talk about working harder and not letting the students think smarter.  Revision means seeing again and after “writing the rough draft, writers need to distance themselves from it for a day or two, then reread it from a fresh perspective” (55).  Anyone who has written knows this to be true.  In my class often the teacher just has them re-write it telling them to look up words they are unsure about.  While this is a good step, I was really impressed with the great ideas Tompkins had for making this process more group oriented.  One station was re-reading where group members offer compliments and asking questions about the writing challenging the author to explain their choices.  Word choice was another station where the writer circle 5-10 words which they bring to their group to work together to make them more specific or more powerful.  Sentence combining where they group helps one another take short sentences and put them together.  Revising has always seemed like a solo process, something teach individual student needs to work on so they can work on their individual skills – but look at how much cooler and beneficial it becomes when you think of it in terms of group work.

Stage 4: Editing

The biggest tip that Tompkins gave was an “editing checklist.”  We used these in 5th grade and they were incredibly helpful.  Just like anything else we teach, we should model how to proof read.  It is very different from regular reading and something that needs to be explicitly taught.  I have helped the students edit a few times now, and each time I really enjoy it.  My MT has the students sign up on a list for a 1:1 editing time with the teacher.  When I get to do it, I sit down with them and have them read it aloud to me.  I usually let them read it all the way through one time, and then I read it aloud to them.  We stop a few times and fix things that they catch.  Then we go back and I ask them about words I think they should know, and help them sound out the words that I think they can sound out and should be learning.  I am also quick to point out that I am not a very good speller, and it is something I work on but that I do know how to use a dictionary.  So for the words I am not 100% certain of their spelling, we flip to the word in the dictionary to make sure of its spelling. 

In my 5th grade class, the one thing that made that teacher stand out so much from all the rest was that she admitted to not being good at math.  It was the first teacher that openly admitted to not being the best/all mighty boss/knower of all knowledge BUT that she worked hard at it and never stop trying to be better at it.  I really connected with that honestly and determination. 

Stage 5: Publishing

I think this is a really important step and a lot of teachers forget about.  Just like who letting them choose their topic makes it meaningful, being given the opportunity to share their work makes the writing meaningful.  Tompkins gave some great ideas on page 59: “read it to parents and siblings, share it at a back-to-school event, place it in the class or school library, read it to students in other classes, post it on the class website, send it to a children’s literary magazine.”  The ideas are not all necessarily just getting it actually published in a magazine or a book.  The definition of publishing is much broader than I had thought, but it makes sense.  Writing should have purpose, and when students are allowed to share their writing, it helps them connect to that purpose.

My MT is very proud of her students publishing portfolio.  All the items of writing go into their writing portfolio and they often share these with their parents and conferences, or go read them to the kindergartners down the hall.  They spend time going through the writing process and making a piece of writing they can be proud of and I have enjoyed being a part of the process.  It is also really great because you can even just visually see their growth when you flip from their first piece of writing back in September to the one they just finished last week.  Their penmanship has improved, the amount they wrote, their sentence structure, spelling, vocabulary, etc.  It has all really improved and because of those writing portfolios, assessing that growth is reliable and very simple to do.  

2 comments:

  1. After reading Adam’s post, I am so impressed by his ability to remember real examples from his childhood and connect them to the reading for this week. As Adam and Tompkins stated, reading and writing go hand and hand. “When students read about a topic before writing, their writing is enhanced because of what they learn about the topic…” (Tompkins, 390) Adam’s example of his mentor who taught a fourth grade class and compared writing to baseball hit home with me (literally). This is a technique I want to use in the classroom, because I think it will get students excited to write. Using these types of real world examples in the classroom can help students relate to the writing process. I will definitely include this in my classroom in order to get students to understand what the writing process entails.

    The writing process (the five stages) in the Tompkins section is the way we believe we should teach our elementary school classrooms. However, what about ESL learners who are struggling with writing? Where do we start with these learners? We cannot forget that, “ESL students are also less likely to be familiar with the particular organizational structure of different kinds of writing, and with the grammatical structure of writing,” (Gibbons, 52). When considering how to teach ESL learners, it’s important to assess what the learners are going to write about, rather than the process of writing. The meanings of why a student is writing may be more important than the form of writing. Another indication of how a student will write is how well the student reads. If the student struggles with concepts of print, then this student will probably struggle with writing. As teachers, we need to be aware of these students and help them succeed in the classroom the best way possible

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Tompkins jigsaw reading, she mentions that "the focus is on using writing to help students think and learn, not on spelling every word correctly" (393). In all my years of education, I have rarely experienced writing from this perspective. I have always written for the sake of writing, and have viewed writing and the writing process in that way. Adam brought up a good point from the Tompkins reading about letting students choose their own writing topic. I think that is key in order to foster a love and appreciation for writing. Most kids grow to hate writing because they are forced to go through the whole writing process and talk about a topic that they may dislike or simply have no interest in. Who wants to put effort in to something that bores them? By letting students choose their writing topics, you are letting them invest in their learning. They are more likely to spend more time thoughtfully working, and will more than likely learn a lot more during the writing process if they are allowed to choose. If they are writing to demonstrate their learning about something, they will also learn more about a topic that they're interested in because research will be fun and engaging.

    One of my favorite writing activities growing up was quickwrites. We would be learning about a subject in school, and then get 5-10 minutes to write whatever we wanted about that subject- our background knowledge, thoughts, feelings, questions, whatever. You didn't have to worry about mechanics or spelling, you just couldn't put your pencil down. That always pushed my thinking, and I really enjoyed it. Tompkins talks about quickwrites being a great quick way to gather background information as well as assess student misconceptions. Even when students share with groups and with the class, it is still a quick activity that can give the teacher a lot of great information.

    The last point that Adam makes about publishing really stuck out to me. Making a big deal about published work is key for students to build their writing confidence and their confidence as students as a whole. If teachers put more emphasis on the finished product, students will take pride in doing a good job and they will want to show it off to other students and members of their family. Also, by collecting all of the students writing, teachers can gauge progress throughout the year. Sometimes it can be discouraging if you feel like there are some students that are still having trouble after months of practice, but being able to look back at their work from September and then the present can change a teacher's attitude completely. It's also rewarding for the student and their family to see how far that student has come by the end of the year when teachers hand their students their writing portfolios. Most students probably feel like they haven't learned a lot in writing until they see it for themselves. It's another great way to positively reinforce students and their writing, which will have great benefits for them throughout their schooling.

    ReplyDelete